Our client, a global engineering consultancy have an opportunity for an experienced Principal Ecologist to join our team based in Birmingham working on a range of infrastructure and commercial projects. Project work will be varied, covering a broad range of ecology services. The role will involve the management of ecological surveys and reporting, ecological mitigation design and any other related tasks. This is a great opportunity to join a dynamic team delivering on a key project and to further develop a variety of skills, and build a successful career within the environmental consultancy sector.
Key work areas shall include:
• Managing ecological surveys involving the client's staff and sub-consultants
• Authoring and reviewing reports including EIA and HRA
• Undertaking ecological mitigation design and delivery services for a range of infrastructure and commercial projects
• Liaising with Regulators and planning authorities in obtaining approvals for ecology works
• Liaising with clients, partner organisations and sub-consultants concerning all areas relevant to our projects
• Delivering complex projects on time and managing them to budget • Preparing cost service proposals for ecology work
• Effective management and mentoring of an ecology team in a multi-disciplinary consultancy environment
• Business development and client relationship management
The successful candidate shall be self-motivated, confident and affable with the desire to develop as an individual and build successful working relationships with colleagues and clients.
• Member of Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management
• Protected species licence(s) would be advantageous, in particular, experience of named ecologist on European Protected Species Mitigation Licence(s)
• Appropriate BSc or equivalent qualification
• MSc in a relevant environmental discipline (desirable but not essential)
• Full clean UK driving licence
Required Skills and Attributes
• Proficient user of MS Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook (and ideally ArcGIS)
• Experience of fieldwork and survey techniques
• Ability to communicate effectively in written and spoken English
• Capable of producing clear and concise written documents
• Highly organised and able to prioritise own and others workload
• Capable of working independently and effectively within a team
• Ability to use initiative and think innovatively
• Demonstrate attention to detail and a high level of accuracy
• Self-motivated, reliable and dedicated individual.
• Interest in the sustainability agenda and environmental developments in the industry.